Nuala’s fourth novel Becoming Belle is published in the USA and Canada to 7th August 2018.
Becoming Belle is available to buy online; and available to pre-order outside the US and Canada.
• Victorian Afternoon Tea, 1 Pery Square, Limerick, 19th Aug
• Dublin launch, The Gutter Book Shop, 5th September, 6.30pm
• Galway launch, Ballinasloe Library, 11th September, 6pm
• Shorelines Arts Festival, Portumna 15th September, 7pm. Venue TBC.
• Clifden Arts Week – 18th September with Alan McMonagle
• Hodges Figgis 200 year anniv. Reading series – Sep. – date TBC
• Red Line Festival, October – Victorian Mavericks with Bernie McGill & Caroline Busher, 7.30pm, Pearse Museum, Dublin
Nuala is taking part in the 2018 Flash Fiction Festival in Bristol, England, this July. She will be giving a reading, leading a workshop on Historical Flash, and taking part in a panel on Historical Flash. More here.
Granta magazine has published ‘Gooseen’ – my story about Nora Barnacle – for Bloomsday. This story recently won the Short Story Prize judged by Ríona Judge McCormack. McCormack said of it: ‘”Gooseen”, stood out for its freshness, its stunning use of language, and its warm, beating humanity.’ It’s at Granta here.
The Anton Chekhov Prize for Very Short Fiction opens today and Nuala is the judge.
1000 word story. $300 prize. Enter here.
‘Gooseen’, my story about Nora Barnacle, that recently won the Short Fiction Prize, will be published in Granta on Bloomsday. Delighted!
I’m currently on retreat in the beautiful River Mill, a brand new writers’ retreat in an 18th C mill in County Down. It’s in a gloriously rural part of the country, near Ardglass and Downpatrick. There is vast peace, boreens to walk, sweet lambs to admire and delicious food to eat.
And I’m getting plenty of features and articles written in the run-up to my new novel Becoming Belle‘ s publication in August (USA) and September (here).
I’d highly recommend The River Mill to writers looking for a really peaceful retreat in the countryside. Poet Paul Maddern is a lovely host and he cooks and bakes like an angel.